Film Score Fest is back in 2015! MNKINO and Composer Quest are pairing up filmmakers and composers to create new short films, and the Composer Quest orchestra will perform the scores live at the screening on August 13th (7 p.m., Landmark Center in St. Paul, MN).
- Sign-up to participate in Film Score Fest 2015 is now closed. If you missed the deadline, check back in August for our next MNKINO filmmaking challenge.
- We’ll screen as many films as we can, but our orchestra has a limited amount of scores they can learn. If needed, we will select films based on: 1) artistic merit, 2) score playability, 3) whether or not they fit in the overall program, and 4) whether or not the films/scores were made locally in Minnesota.
Guidelines for filmmakers:
- Video must be under 5 minutes
- Based on the mystery meat (theme) “home”
- Any video format is acceptable (but please avoid .wmv if possible!)
- Send your video to your composer partner by June 15, 2015
Guidelines for composers:
- Due date for scores is July 20, 2015
- We will have one of each of these instruments: flute, oboe, Bb clarinet, saxophone (alto, tenor, or bari), bassoon, french horn (in F), Bb trumpet, trombone, tuba, drum set, guitar (classical, steel string, or electric), grand piano, violin, viola, cello, double bass. We will also have an additional percussion player; Composter quest Charlie will update you on the specific percussion instruments available.
- Score and parts must be formatted for 8.5 x 11″ paper, vertical layout. Make sure it’s readable by a human conductor and not too tiny.
- When finished, send email@example.com (using dropbox or wetransfer):
- PDFs of your score and parts
- MIDI file (so we can create a click track)
- The final video with a mockup score, for the musicians to learn
- The final video without the mockup score, for the video playback
Feel free to email mnkino.gmail.com with filmmaking questions and firstname.lastname@example.org with composing questions
Film Score Fest Kick-Off
To kick-off our Film Score Fest we’ll reveal the mystery meat (which will serve as a thematic prompt for your video) and begin the Film Score Fest sign-up period. And to foster a supportive and collaborative filmmaking community for participants, this event will be a filmmaking and composing skillshare and artist mixer.
Artist Presentations, 3pm to 4pm
Come learn about different methods and affordable resources to create your films or musical scores from our featured filmmakers and a composers.
Skillshare and Mixer, 4 to 5pm
Mystery Meat Reveal and Film Score Fest Sign-Up
Stick around to chat with the featured artists and to find collaborators for your film. Feel free to bring a laptop or a sample of your work to share with others.
MNKINO Film Score Fest Kick-Off
Sunday, April 19th, 3pm to 5pm
Bedlam Lowertown, 213 4th St E, St Paul, MN 55101
Free and Open to the Public